Who was Catherine Meyer?
Catherine Meyer is known as the “Mother of Red Lion”. Her deeds and influence played a major role in the beginning of the town’s development.
In 1853, John and Catherine Meyer moved to a 55-acre farm located just north of what is now the center of Red Lion. The property included a two-story log house and outbuildings. This was the property on which the Meyers lived. The 1860 map shows “J.D. Meyers” at the same spot as Catherine built her home in 1866 after their first home burned. It was razed in 1934 to make room for Red Lion’s post office at the corner of West High Street and North Main Street.
John and Catherine Meyer continued to purchase land in and around Red Lion. John died in 1865. Catherine lived until 1919 and became a well-respected business woman and developer of Red Lion. She added another 35 acres to her land and then began to sell and donate it to her community.
In 1875, Mrs. Meyer built a combination general store, saloon, post office and railroad station located where the railroad station is today. She also had erected Meyer Hall, which later became the Red Lion Hotel and Baublitz House. This building is located at 77-83 North Main Street.
The Red Lion Cemetery and Fairmount Park are located on land previously owned by Mrs. Meyer.
She was deeply interested in the incorporation of Red Lion into a borough, and played a large part in this movement. She was part of nearly every movement directed toward the betterment of her beloved town.