The early settlers of Red Lion Borough realized that a prerequisite to the Borough's development was the availability of an abundant water supply. On May 16, 1893, the citizens moved in a cooperative venture to form the Red Lion Water Company.
On January 20, 1959, the Red Lion Municipal Authority was incorporated, pursuant to a request by Red Lion Borough officials, and on November 2, 1959, the water lines, property and facilities were conveyed to the Authority at a purchase price of $1,200,000 through means of a bond issue.
Partnership for Safe Water
Red Lion Municipal Authority has, for many years, been a member of the Partnership for Safe Water, and our enrollment is still current. The certificate above is from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Our participation in the Partnership places us among leaders in the water treatment field and exemplifies a strong commitment to optimizing treatment processes and providing safe drinking water to consumers. In addition, it demonstrates our willingness to partner with the state as we work toward the goal of providing safe water to Pennsylvanians 100 percent of the time.
With our participation in the program, we have joined other Regional Water Supply Partners in the state who operate filter plants that together serve over 4 million people, which is more than half of the population served by surface water systems in Pennsylvania. In addition, as a Regional Partner, we will receive all of the benefits of the national program in addition to specialized assistance from DEP if we request. Over the years, staff at Pennsylvania's surface water treatment plants have worked together with DEP in optimizing treatment processes through the Filter Plant Performance Evaluation program. The Regional Partnership Agreement will continue to strengthen the common goal of optimizing filter plant performance.